image image image image
Our Rich Heritage and History Today Hawkins County has a population of over fifty thousand. Church Hill is the largest city, followed by Rogersville, Mount Carmel, Surgoinsville, and Bulls Gap.

The Hawkins County school system supports
twelve elementary schools, three middle schools,
three high schools, and an enrichment center.
Learn More >>
Enjoy an Outing in Our Parks Laurel Run Park, set stunningly along the placid Holston River, is operated by Hawkins County as a municipal park.

This beautiful park includes river-access, a mountain creek, playground equipment, tennis courts, softball and baseball fields, and more.

The park is open year round. Picnic shelters are available for reservation.   Learn More >>
A Good Mix of Industry and Agriculture Hawkins County is a great place for industry and farming. The education of our workforce is as fertile as our rolling farmlands.
Discover Hawkins Counties fine area public schools, colleges & universities, and major institutions.

Learn More >>
Do You Have An Emergency Plan? Your family's safety depends on preparing for the unexpected.

Check out our Emergency Management Agency Preparedness section to help develop your plan.

Learn More >>
Home Government County Mayor
Hawkins County Mayor PDF Print E-mail

melvillebailey2Hawkins County Mayor Melville Bailey lives at 1706 Pressmen’s Home Road, Rogersville with his wife, Diane.  They have one daughter, Amy, who is married to Daniel McMillan.

Mayor Bailey is a retired school teacher/principal, having worked in the Hawkins County School System for almost 35 years.  He and Diane are members of Spires Chapel Church.  Melville loves to hunt and fish, walk, and rummage sale.  The office of county mayor is a new venture for him since this is his first political experience.

Melville is a product of the Hawkins County School System graduating from Rogersville High School in 1970.  He is a graduate of the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, having earned a degree in natural sciences (chemistry, physics, and biology).  He also received a Master’s Degree and an Educational Specialist Degree in administration and supervision from East Tennessee State University in Johnson City.

By virtue of the office of county mayor, Bailey is a member of several organizational boards throughout Hawkins County and Northeast Tennessee.  He also serves as Chairman and ex officio (non-voting) member of the Hawkins County Commission and its sub-committees.  As chief executive officer of the county, the county mayor exercises a role of leadership in county government with his primary duties focused on county financial management.  He also has the care and custody of all county property, unless it is placed with another officer.


Office Hours:  8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday

Contact Information:

Hawkins Count Mayor's Office
150 East Washington Street,  Suite 2
Rogersville,  TN  37857
Phone: (423) 272-7359
Fax: (423) 272-1867

Office Staff:

Nicole Buchanan - Accounts and Budget Director
Amanda Burton - Inventory Clerk / Accounting Assistant
Teresa Ann Couch - Payroll and Employee Benefits Manager
Evelyn Gladson - Retired / Part-Time Accounting Consultant
Teresa McPheron - Accounts Payable Manager
Alana M. Roberts - Property Manager and Special Projects Coordinator
Martha Wallace - Purchasing Manager and Administrative Secretary

Do I need a building permit to build in the county? 

Effective October 1, 2010 a building permit will be required for the new construction of a one and two family residence within the county.  The State of Tennessee, Department of Commerce, Fire Prevention Division will be issue and enforce the building codes.  You may apply on line and/or obtain additional information by logging on to  A list of local issuing agents will be posted to the website soon.  If you live within a city limits, call the following city office for their requirements:
Bulls Gap   423-235-5216
Church Hill  423-357-6161
Mount Carmel  423-357-7311
Rogersville  423-272-7497
Surgoinsville  423-345-2213

In addition, you will need the following permits:

  1. A permit for your septic system from the Department of Environment and Conservation, Water Pollution Control.  You may contact 423-357-2920 in the Church Hill area and 423-272-2485 in the Rogersville area.
  2. A permit for your electrical supply from Appalachian Power or Holston Electric Cooperative, Inc.  You may contact Appalachian Power at 877-237-2886 and Holston Electric at 423-272-8821.


Where do I get a burn permit? 

Tennessee Forestry Department   (423) 345-2147

Where do I take my household hazardous waste?

See Solid Waste Department

County Holidays:

County offices will be closed on the following holidays:


 New Years Day  Columbus Day
 Martin Luther King Day  Veteran's Day
 Presidents Day  Thanksgiving
 Good Friday  Christmas Eve
 Memorial Day  Christmas Day
 Independence Day  Election Days
 Labor Day